Monday, August 29, 2011

Thankful For One More Day!



Friday I found out that my Grandmother had entered the hospital because her arm was numb.  She was taken to the hospital in an ambulance.  And that was all I knew for hours.  Since she lives in Oregon, and I in Utah, it's not like I could just get in the car and head over there.  That side of my family has a history of heart problems and my Dad just passed away from a stroke last year.  Knowing all of this, it was all I could do to hold it together until I heard more about how she was doing.  I had been feeling sad anyway and was trying to hold the tears in until I had a moment to myself, but after I got the phone call about my Grandma the tears fell freely.  And  I continued crying off and on all day.

Why is it that when emotions hit you so strong, your inner voice kicks in with everything logical?  I kept thinking, "I know she's 82 and her health hasn't been that great anyway.  Besides, she want's to die."  (She's been telling us this since she was 69 - because it seems like everyone in her family has died by this age anyway, and she thinks it's totally unfair that she's still alive.)  But try as I might, my logical side of me couldn't win.  I was overcome with grief and I was so relieved to hear that she had pulled through surgery for a blood clot in her arm.  And I was so happy and grateful to have another chance to hear her voice.

You see, I believe that our life continues after the death of our bodies, that our spirits live on.  I know that I could talk to her after she died and she would hear me just fine, but I would most likely not be able to hear hers.  Even with this knowledge, I am thankful we get one more day to be together on this earth and that I could hear her voice again and let her know I love her and am thankful she's been a part of my life.

I also know that this was probably just the warning signal - just a "news flash" from Above to let us know, the time is soon coming for her to go home - her Heavenly Home.  Perhaps next time I won't take it so hard, but then again, I probably will.

No comments:

Post a Comment