Friday, August 12, 2011

Old Oldies

I feel like today needs something fun and uplifting!  So I thought of music - that always does the trick for me. The other night my husband and I were watching the PBS channel and they were doing their fundraising concert.  This one in particular was called the "Malt Shop Memories Concert" - from the '50s and the '60s.  You know?  The REAL old stuff!  I LOVE music from this era!  My husband always teases me when I show that I know music from this time period, calling me "grandma" and such.  I don't mind, though, he can't say much.  He loves it too!  In fact, he has a Pandora station totally dedicated to "Ole Blue Eyes" (Frank Sinatra) himself!  Old music is about the only kind we can agree on and enjoy together - and why not?  It's fantastic stuff!

If you can believe it, I actually remember my Dad having an 8 track machine and we would listen to the Beach Boys and Neil Diamond on it.  After that died, I remember having a record player.  My brothers and I loved listening to the Beach Boys and I'm thankful my Dad shared his love of music with me.  I can remember riding in the car and singing along to "the oldies" even back then!

Some of my favorites are below - songs I still sing to every time I hear them!

Surfin' USA The Beach Boys- 1963


"Sixteen Candles"  The Crests- 1958
What girl doesn't dream of a boy that can sing to her for her 16th birthday?  You can bet I did. Totally love this song!


"Bobby's Girl" Marcie Blaine- 1962

I actually had a crush on a boy named Bobby, when I was a teen.  I must've listened to this song a million times (or pretty close to that) during that time!  :)


"Earth Angel"  originally released in 1954 by The Penguins
After I heard this song on "Back to the Future" I fell in love with it and has been a favorite ever since!


"All I have to do is Dream"  Everly Brothers- 1958
I actually used to sing this song with some sisters who sang beautifully and were often asked to perform at church functions.  They graciously allowed me to be a part of their group and it was a pleasure and an honor to sing with them.  This song holds good memories for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment