Thursday, August 18, 2011

"See Mommy? Daddy's OK!"

Monday my husband went into a surgical center for the removal of a lump of lipoma on his right shoulder. (Lipoma is a fatty, non-cancerous growth.)  Of course, surgery is not fun and can be a bit overwhelming, but when we were reading the list of anesthesia's with their possible side effects, it was downright scary!  Did you know that there is a drug that can cause temporary amnesia? Yikes!  And, of course, there's the side effect that made us decide we should put on paper that if anything were to "happen", I would be able to make decisions for my husband.  With all of those "side effects" going through our brains you can imagine why we were so nervous!

However, in spite of all those scary warnings, the surgery went well and the Dr. reassured him that his growth - although sent to a lab to be checked - would not be cancerous.  As they were telling us about all the things he needed to do to take care of his wound, I had to joke that he would be more work than I was after having a baby!  To which he replied, "I hope not!"  (Honestly, it hasn't been bad!)

Nonetheless, the kids were warned not to touch him when he came home and were in total awe of the drugged up, silent man that walked into the house after the surgery.  Since the bandage isn't where they can see it, I'm sure they were wondering what was wrong with him and why they couldn't touch him.  All that first day they stole peeks into the bedroom where he lay resting and at one point they were invited in, but he was obviously not the jovial person they were used to seeing and talking to.

My 2 youngest just kept asking me, "Is Daddy ok?"  Of course, I explained as best I could, but it's hard to know what they understood.  The next day it was obvious that my little Ana was so concerned because every time her daddy ventured down the stairs, she would run to me, point to him and say, "See Mommy?  Daddy's ok!"

Yes, he's ok and on his way to healing!  Thank goodness for good medicine and for good doctors!

No comments:

Post a Comment