Friday, August 26, 2011

First Grade in French

My oldest daughter started school this week.  (I can't believe it's been a whole week already!) Walking away from her on Monday I went through every emotion:
~ Sad to leave her, knowing how much I'll miss her during the day,
~ Panicked about leaving her in a place I have no control over where she is at every moment,
              (Yes, I am a control freak)
~ Questioning if I've taught her all I'm supposed to for her to be ready for school all day?
~ and Excited that she's growing and learning and enjoying it!


Every day she's come home so excited to tell me all about her day!  She LOVES school and she loves learning.  The exciting thing is that she's in a French Immersion program at her school and already she loves it!  She comes home singing a song they have learned in French, "Un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq, six, sept violet-uh bicyclette!"  Which is all the numbers from 1-7, and then it says purple bicycle.  Much to her excitement, I just reminded her that she actually does have a purple bicycle.

Her teacher's (she has 2 - one that teaches in English, and the 2nd one teaches in French) sent home a letter on Tues. saying, "Wow!  We are working with an amazing group of first grade students.  They have responded to the language challenge with excitement and enthusiasm.  They watch and listen, then try out the new sounds and words.  If they don't understand what is being said, a friend sitting next to them quickly 'helps' by showing or telling them what to do.  Thank you for sending us children so willing to do their best."  I mean, I know the teachers have to be positive or whatever, but I know they're right.  The kids in there are amazing!  (And I don't just mean my own, although I do think she's pretty amazing!)

We live in such a good place, where parents care about their kids and their education - which makes the children care too.  What a blessing it is for her to be here and to learn a new language!  I know this will open up a whole new world for her!  Which is why, although sending her away to school brings up tons of emotions for me, I'm glad to see her learning so much and so happy about school.

No comments:

Post a Comment