Monday, February 27, 2012

My "Poem" about Christ

Written in 1995.  This is not a rhyming poem, but I didn't know what else to call it, really.

Comely in looks,
Yet strong with many years of hard, physical labor.
His work requires someone with endurance and 
     Patience in every tiny detail
Whether his task be a rocking horse
     or putting up the walls of a house.

He holds his head high
     and he's not afraid to look you in the eye.
One can tell that he is sure of himself.
His very being impresses the image 
     of power on my mind.
His power is gentle-
     born of His love for me.

In His eyes all are equal.
     No one has to pass judgement.
He accepts anyone who will give up 
     their sins and come to Him.

Not once does He think of Himself
     or what others will give in return.
He wants everyone to feel of His love,
     To find comfort in the warmth of His touch.
He wants to help us become the best we can be.
     He knows that each one of us is 
Unique and has a special gift to share.

To be in His very presence
     Can calm a troubled heart.
At the touch of His gentle hands
      A child lives.
At the sound of His voice
     The stormy sea is calmed.

People gather around Him-
     Longing to hear what He has to say,
          Wanting His acceptance.

He leads the way as He reaches out
     to those outside of the circle of followers.
He opens a door and lets them 
     Come unto Him.
He teaches of love, peace,
     Understanding, compassion, and mercy.

There is wisdom, knowledge and light in His eyes.
As He speaks not one person can doubt
     that He knows His mission in life,
And the purpose of man on this earth.

*       *       *       *         *       *      *     *      *    *

I pushed my way through the crowd-
     Wanting with all of my heart to
Be close enough to touch Him.

Soon I was before Him
     and my eyes met His.
He seemed to be searching my soul...
     Asking my heart if it believed?

Do I have the faith that He can give me
     the strength I need to make it through this life?
Do I believe His teachings?
     Will I follow Him?

     The Creator of all,
Man's Savior and Redeemer,
     Him who rules a kingdom above,
The Judge of all who will enter heaven-
     With the humility of a beggar
He asks me to accept Him and His message.

Can I doubt His power?
     Or the love that He has for me?

Tears came to my eyes as I answered his unasked question:
     "Yes, Lord.  I believe and willingly will I follow Thee."

How could I deny Him?
     Such love, devotion and compassion!
A love like that I've never known.
     I trust Him and know that He will not lead me astray.

Through my tears and sorrowing heart,
     I can hear His soft voice
beckoning me to look beyond my trouble,
     Helping me to rise up out of despair.

In the mist of confusion and
     the darkness surrounding me,
Slowly pressing me to my knees with it's weight-
     I know that only my faith 
          can bring His healing touch.

As I call out to Him-
     Through the darkness His hand will come to help me up.
His grip is firm, comforting and gentle.
     He will lead me,
           Gently pulling me back into the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment