Sunday, January 1, 2012

What kind of Christian am I?

Every Sunday I take the 1300 East exit off of I-15, and every Sunday I see a homeless person - or at least someone in need - on all 3 off ramps coming into town.  Every Sunday I wonder how terrible my situation would have to be for me to stand on the corner of a street holding a sign asking for help.  This would take a lot, since I'm such a prideful person.  And I believe that most of us are.  We are born with a desire to do for ourselves, just look at any child ages 18 months and up - that's when we start fighting for the right to be independent and to make our own choices.  

Well, today as I passed all 3 men, I found myself wondering...  "How did they get on the street?  Are they homeless, or just without a job? I wonder what it is that they need?  What could I offer them?  How could I approach them and offer assistance without being degrading and still being on guard - in case they were dangerous somehow?"  With all these questions playing over and over, but also being overwhelmingly grateful that I'm not the one on the corner, the thought popped into my head, "What kind of a Christian are you?  There must be something you can do!"  And then I started to think about what I would want if I was homeless, standing in the cold with a sign.  Perhaps a cup of something warm to drink and something to eat?  Maybe a sandwich - even something so simple would be gratefully accepted by me, if I was starving!  I wonder, could I do something so simple?  And would it be gratefully accepted?

Slowly, my mind started to change focus as I realized I could at least try, that I could trust my instincts and do better to serve the people around me.  I realized that I wanted to be the kind of Christian that follows the Savior's example and I knew in that moment that I probably wouldn't be able to drive by again without that thought nagging me, constantly in the back of my mind, until the next week when I drive by again.  "What kind of Christian are you?"

2 comments:

  1. Josh buys granola bars to keep in his car for the sole purpose of giving them to people he thinks need them. He's braver than I am - but I don't know why I'm scared of helping someone who needs help....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! I know, why is it so scary?

    ReplyDelete